In addition to financial support, HALT is always in need of dedicated volunteers in the Knoxville area. There are many ways you can be a part of the program based on the amount of time you have available to give. Our volunteer opportunities include:
- Eight Classes total: meet twice per week, 1 hour each class
- Pick a class:
- Mon/Wed: 6:30-7:30pm
- Tues/Thurs: 1:30-2:30pm or 6:30-7:30pm
- No Experience Necessary: Learn alongside the kids and dogs following an instructor’s lead.
- Must be able to commit to all 8 classes. We want our kids to know that we are committed to being there for them since they’ve committed to being there for us.
- Must have dependable transportation.
- Since we are working with minors, class volunteers must complete a background check with their application.
Help with Adoption Events:
- Introduce the HALT dogs to the public at area businesses to help them find their forever homes. Locations may include Meadow View Garden Center, Elst Brewery, Mast General Store, The Bark Knoxville, PetSmart, and Ijams Nature Center.
- Inform the public about the HALT program and ways to volunteer
- Assist in transporting dogs to and from events
Help with Special Events and fundraising:
- Attend events in the Knoxville area to promote the HALT program. Examples of events include:
- Central Cinema special movie screenings
- Picture Day with UT Mascot Smokey
- Howl-o-ween at UT Gardens
- Holiday Gift Wrapping at Mast General Store
- Silent auctions, contests and raffles
- Work with the fundraising committee to find and secure sponsors for the program and special events, to find grants to help support the program, and to find local businesses to donate prizes.
Email our volunteer coordinator at email@example.com for more information on any of these opportunities or download our application here HALT Volunteer Application. Volunteers must be at least 21 years old for classes and 18 years old for adoption events.